Monday, November 3, 2008

YES

“All your life you are told the things you can not do.
You will be told you’re not good enough.
They’ll say you are the wrong height, the wrong weight, or the wrong type to play this or be this or achieve this.
They will tell you no a thousand times, until all the no’s become meaningless.
All your life they will tell you no, quite firmly and very quickly. They will tell you no and you will tell them YES!”

I wrote this quote as an inspiration from my friend Kaylee back home at the studio and Lucy who is here at TT with me. Before I left for training Kaylee gave me a package of letters labelled one for each of the nine weeks I am here. I have been reading them one by one after each Saturday’s class. Week seven’s letter had this quote written in it so I thought it was appropriate. My TT friend Lucy, also a blogger, posts quotes on her blog every now and again, so that’s where I got the idea.
When I read this quote my mind instantly went back to when I decided to go to training. I don’t think anyone ever told me they didn’t think I could do it. I know there were a couple people that probably wondered if I really would do it. They probably asked themselves if this was one of those whim things I got in my head like when I decided to take a break from college and live in Italy. When I make up my mind to do something it’s pretty hard to change it, I think my parents figured that out a long time ago, I blame it on the Italian in me. I also blame it on the fact that no matter what crazy thing I decide to do I am supported 127% by my parents. They might not like the idea but at the same time they don’t hold me back. I think I might have talked about this before; I’m having a déjà-vu moment. I am mentioning this today because the two times we had Joanie as a teacher this past week she always ended with a few inspirational words. She told us to think about the people we left behind and those who sacrificed their own lives to make it work for us.
I am one of the lucky ones that doesn’t have a lot of attachments and things ‘to take care of’ before I left. There are people here who left their kids, some very young, behind to take this opportunity for themselves. There are three women here that have their small children here with them. Two of them have nannies and the other one’s husband is here to look after the baby while they are in class. I just look at them and think that I could never do that. Then again I am not a mother and I think Mothers are the strongest people alive.
Other trainees have told me how they had to pre pay bills, get someone to look after their house, pets or family, quit their job or took a leave, sold their car, and of course took out a loan. It actually doesn’t surprise me the sacrifices people make to come here. I don’t really have a story to tell so I like to listen to everyone else’s.
Today was another day spent going to Wal-mart and McDonalds. We also found Eleni some shoes to go with the dress she bought yesterday, fun stuff I know you wanted to know about. I spent the afternoon lying by the pool, in the shade of the palm trees with some friends. We didn’t even talk or think about dialogue at all, it was so nice. I know I should be taking advantage of this time and going back and reviewing but it was nice not to think about it.
My posture clinic group decided to go out for supper tonight. It was really nice to get out, dress up a little and carry a purse; first time I have done that since I got here. We went to 100% natural, which is a local hot spot restaurant among yogis. We ended up staying there for three hours just talking and having a good time. I didn’t realize we were there that long until I got back to my room, the time flew by.

The pic is me studying dialogue by the pool, though you can't tell its by the pool.

1 comment:

Rox said...

Congratulations Melissa, you've gotten to the free time! I've tried to read a few of the blogs but yours I've read the whole way. You should be very proud at not only nearly completing this very challenging task but at completing it in the way that you did. Well done. To say you're in the final stretch (yes, bad pun intended!), is putting it mildly. Have fun with it all. Enjoy your last few days with Grp 13!! It's always the best group!!
~Roxanne