Sunday, November 2, 2008

Getting out


Morning class was taught by Mike again, same thoughts as last time.
For lunch we got to switch restaurants and eat at a new restaurant that just opened in a new part of the hotel. They had the same food as Chula Vista, our regular lunch destination but it was a change of scenery so I really didn’t mind.
We sat with a couple other yogis’ today and it was interesting to hear their take on the different teachers. One of them told me that he didn’t enjoy a certain teacher the first time we had him. The next time we had him he made up his mind to really listen to everything he was saying. He said after doing that he had a different take on him. I think it is cool to hear how people deal with the different situations they are faced with and other peoples take on different classes or teachers. Some times when I have a view on someone and it’s not necessarily a good one, it’s good to hear someone else’s reason for loving them. Not that we are supposed to analyze the different teachers, reactions, classes or anything for that matter here. I think it is good sometimes to reflect on why someone had a certain impact/reaction on you. I like being able to bounce ideas and talk about different situations with the people here who are going through the same thing. Everyone reacts differently and that’s why we keep coming back. How boring would that be if everyone had the same reaction to teachers or situations? Being able to experience the different teachers and reactions has allowed me to grow so much in such a short time. Talking about it is also a good way to vent if everyone agrees with you, lol.
It seems Halloween is an entire weekend event here. Mexicans celebrate Halloween as the day of the deads. They believe that past ones visit them each year on Halloween. There is a day for children, adults and a day for them to return to the place of the dead. They prepare by making Mexican bread as an offering in preparation for the visit. We got to enjoy some of this tradition as they delivered some to each room for us to enjoy. I enjoy seeing and experiencing how different cultures celebrate their traditions.
After class I was on my computer and a girl from my floor came storming down the hallway with a laundry bag. I didn’t even have to ask her before she started telling me what happened. She had pulled a dress out of her closet that she was going to wear out tonight but to her surprise the dress had mold all over it. She proceeded to go through her entire closet and realized that anything she had not worn in awhile had mold on it. She packaged everything up and was on her way downstairs to deal with the situation. Immediately after that I proceeded to raid my closet looking for the same thing but it seemed my clothes were in good shape. I did however come across a pair of sandals I have worn once since being here. They were covered in mold and it totally freaked me out. I washed them with soap and water and sprayed them with tea tree, I'll have to see what happens when they dry. Eleni was not impressed when I told her about the closet situations, ‘aghhh, hasn’t there been enough things to deal with in this stupid hotel’. Can you tell we are about ready to go back to the comforts of home?
After taking our routine Saturday afternoon nap Eleni and I headed to the mall. She needed to find something for graduation. Just in case you care, she did find a dress that looks amazing on her, so the trip was worth it. We had to take a cab there, and he came back and picked us up two hours later. We saw about 50 other yogis in the mall, I guess they all had the same idea. This is the first time we have left the ‘compound’, other than our Wal-mart or mega trips. It felt great to get out, even for a few hours. I didn’t even touch my dialogue today and it felt great. I ran into some people and they tried to talk about studying but I nixed that right in the bud. I should be taking advantage of this time and going back to review, that’s what Saturday’s have been for the last 6 weeks. It felt great to not think about it; class, nap and shopping took up my entire day, and I ain’t complaining one iota.

The picture is of the Acapulco bay from the top of the hill on the way to the mall.

No comments: