Tuesday, October 14, 2008

No expectations


This morning’s class was taught by Latisha, studio owner from New Mexico. I didn’t find she brought a lot of energy to class but I didn’t let it affect me much though, it is only Monday morning after all. I don’t know how or why but I found myself coming out of my head and just listening to her. I wasn’t thinking about how long we had to hold the posture for or if a body part was tired. I don’t know if it was her voice or if it was the fact that is was Monday and I went in there with no expectations. Monday mornings are not necessarily tough, I am just a little bit stiffer after a day off. Therefore I don’t go there expecting my body to be at the same place it was in Saturday mornings class. I think it’s a good take on it because I can see the frustration on peoples face after a day off. Its only yoga right!?
After class I rode the elevator with another yogini. She was saying how she hates Mondays because she is so stiff and she is always angry in Monday AM class. I told her my view on Mondays. She smiled and said, “I never thought of it that way, I need to let it go. I am going to promise myself that next Monday I am going to focus on smiling and remind myself not to have any expectations.” I told her there is no point in getting worked up about it, its done, she did it, if anything be proud and focus on that.
We did Triangle posture this afternoon in posture clinic. Our group decided on Friday (between ourselves) that the ones who usually go last were going to go first this time and vice versa. The people who usually go last liked that idea because they had all weekend to study so it was still fresh in their heads. Everyone in my group rocked this posture out. Of course there are still corrections and homework (things to work on), here and there, but we got it done. I was nervous going up because I kept mixing up two lines, switching their spot where they are supposed to be said, therefore throwing me off. I went up there, and I didn’t miss a word, I slowed it down like they told me to last time, I didn’t cry, and I got them in and I got them out. When I was finished Lynn said to me, “I would hire you in a second. That was absolutely perfect. You command respect. Keep doing what you are doing”. Okay, so I hope that doesn’t mean it’s downhill from here, oh gosh, lol.
Lynn told me after that I am so comfortable with the dialogue that next time she wants me to say it so painfully slow that it makes me feel uncomfortable, this could be interesting. My homework for myself is remembering to breathe. I get so excited when I say it sometimes that I forget to breathe at the beginning of the sentence and then I run out of air.
In posture clinic people were talking about the people who got really sick during Friday evenings class. Apparently there was a girl who actually puked into her towel, two times, folded up the towel she puked in and put it at the front of her mat. The girl next to her gave her an extra towel to have just in case she needed it. The girl just put the extra towel on top of the puked in one so it wouldn’t start to smell. After she took care of the towel she stood up and carried on with the standing series.
Another girl had her body cramp up so bad by the end of class that she had to be carried out by Dale and put on IV. I heard she was taken by ambulance to the hospital but she might have just went to the hotel doctor. Her neck was cramped up so bad that her head was glued sideways to her shoulder. Both her one leg and arm was cramped in the bent position with her foot in the pointed ballerina position. Dale had to carry her out in that position, scary stuff man. I can’t say anything cause I would probably push myself to that point too, which is even scarier. It's amazing what people put their bodies through for a night off, for themselves, for us, for Bikram.
Tonihgt's evening class was taught by Bikram. a good steady class. I was struggling for air in the standing series but I paced myself and was able to hold myself up and together to finish strong. A lot of people in my row were going down, not sure there much air flow going on in the middle of the room tonight. None the less I did it, and so did the other 315 trainees there.
Bikram lectured us tonight, I really enjoyed his lecture tonight. He told us stories about how Bikram yoga has saved so many lives. He told us the story about the one time he ever felt the most guilty in his life, he said he was so depressed he didn’t want to talk to anyone. He stayed in his house for one full day without talking to anyone. People kind of laughed when he said that but it was pretty major to him. When you think about someone being depressed you think they want to be alone for more than 24 hours, especially in the state he explained. He told us stories about people who have been in his class that have died when they stopped doing the yoga, people who had life long ailments. He talked about how yoga helped prolong their life and then they died when they stopped doing the yoga. He mentioned how Quincy Jones was told he would never walk again by the same doctor that told Emmy that. Emmy and Quincy did the yoga and are still alive but the doctor is dead, lol. I love the way he tells stories.
I feel kind of jipped because at the beginning of training we were told Bikram would be with us for the entire nine weeks. Last night he told us that he leaves tomorrow morning for 13 days for some seminars. He also told us his flight schedule and it is beyond ridiculous. He is on the plane every day flying all over the world…Bombay, California, Florida, Europe, thirteen flights all together.
Bikram let us go to bed at midnight because his stomach was growling from some tacos, lucky us. I was actually disappointed to be let go that early, his stories were so entertaining. Before he dismissed us he re-minded us of his rules about no smoking, drinking, touching, kissing, and fucking. He told us that he has already let seven trainees go home because they broke the rules. It doesn’t surprise me that people did this but at the same time it does because it is such a waste. Why bother coming here in the first place if you are going to fuck it up like that in the first two weeks. He also told us that he was talking with the staff and visiting teachers about how this training and how efficient, smart and fast we all are. Bikram said he is amazed how fast we are learning and growing at this training. He said we have had some physical battles with the stupid room but we are the fastest learning and most efficient teacher training. He is excited about that because when he comes back he can take all our extra time to talk to us about the yoga because we are way ahead of any other training in the past. I am very excited for that as well. Rajashree (Bikrams wife) and Kellie (from my studio) arrive next week so that gives a little something extra to look forward too after this five week hump.

No comments: