Friday, September 26, 2008

Spaghetti and meatballs


Last night we had lecture with Bikram until 12:30am. He talked about the different types of yoga and how yoga came about. I got to ride in the elevator with Bikram for a couple floors. All he said was, “these people that are here are special people” and I said “yah and it takes something special to bring us all here.” He said, “I can feel it, this group is special”, in which I responded with, “you probably say that to every group, lol”, and got off the elevator.
Last night the power went out, but I woke up at about 6am to go the bathroom and noticed the clock was flashing. I had to reset it using another little battery operated clock Eleni had brought. We have been using the electric clock but Eleni has been getting up about 10 minutes before it goes off every morning anyways. Her internal clock is telling her not to miss a class. If we miss a class we have to do two make up classes, and if we are late and miss sign in, it is one class. The make up classes are offered Saturday and Sunday mornings at 11am.
So this week I have been focusing on my ‘true’ yoga. What I mean is, last week I think I got caught up in the hype of training starting. Emotions were high with everyone cramping up and dehydrating. I forgot to reflect and remember how great my body really is, and how good it has been to me through my life, especially in the hot room. I was drinking water and adding electrolytes and trace minerals to it, something that my body wasn’t used to. I was so caught up with not wanting to cramp or dehydrate that I forgot to trust myself. Last week my stomach was constantly hurting before and during class. I felt winded after some classes with no energy, feeling like I couldn't catch my breath and I was craving ice cold water after every posture,. Yes I know that water saved my life one class last week, but I got hooked on that, mentally. So this week I came back to my true self. I stopped putting those minerals and electrolytes into my body before and during class. After class I have been taking the trace minerals but in lesser amounts, just to help get back what I lost during class through my sweat. I did a no water class earlier this week, just to refocus myself.
I was told that when we go to training we bring a little part of each teacher from our home studio with us. Sometimes we even hear them or something they said to us at one time during class. A teacher at my home studio tells the students that if you need water to pick three or four spots in the practice where you can have a quick sip, but not to rely on it. So I reconnected with what he said and I have picked three times in class where I reward my body with a sip of cold water, and it has been working.
If I do start to drag my body, don’t get me wrong I will use the electrolytes, but right now I don’t need them. I am eating what my body needs and that is working for me. My body has responded immensely and has thanked me for it by soaking up this yoga, class after class. We have been kept up until about 1am or 2am every night. I know the worst is yet to come but yet my body isn’t shutting down. I wake up in the mornings feeling tired but not groggy and I can’t wait for class to start, I can’t wait to start sweating and waking up. My body is absorbing and craving these classes like a big plate of Dad’s homemade spaghetti and meatballs, mmmmm. I think that is the best description I could give to make you understand how good I am feeling right now and this week. Take it for what it’s worth but it is only week two so I am going to enjoy the smile that won’t leave my face right now.
The room here seems to be extra humid as well. I am chalking that up to the amount of rain we have been recieving though. We were told last week that it is all natural humidity in the room so I am sure the percentage of humidity is a little higher than the spring, though I have nothing to compare to. I do feel like I am sweating more than at home, it is like a tap turned a little bit on, dripping constantly, not just a little drip here and there.
I had a little extra time today so I wanted to through that little thought of the day in there for you all.
Back to today: Class this morning was with Emmy again. The last two classes she taught us I have not found her classes very motivating for me. I noticed a lot of other people felt the same way. She is very frustrated with the way we execute some of the postures, and she lets us know. Today I decided to block that out and I focused on her corrections and I learnt three or four corrections that I did for myself and will be able to help students with. She is so knowledgeable when it comes to this yoga, and so much to teach us. After class people were talking about some things she said that were negative and I couldn’t even go back and remember them. I don’t know why but my mind did not allow me to absorb that today.
After class we had an hour of anatomy with Dr T, still no books and our exam is on Monday. Apparently the books are being held in customs, heres hoping we get them by the weekend so we can study. After posture clinic Bikram brought in a close friend of his to talk to us about our speech and voice in class. We were let go at 4:30 to rush back to our rooms and prepare for 5 o’clock class. Jim is back and he taught a solid motivating 90 minute class. I am loving those 90 minute classes, as we get stronger we should expect them more.
Before Bikram came into lecture, we got introduced to a senior teacher from Boston, Diane. She graduated in the second every Bikram yoga college, in 1993 when they didn’t even have a written dialogue yet. There was 30 of them in the school and Bikram would verbally dictate to them during posture clinic in order for them to learn it, now they have it down to a science.
Bikram came in a very good mood tonight, not that he is usually in a bad one. He told us that he received two compliments today about what good learners and listeners we are. Of course he accepted all the credit upon himself for teaching us so well. Jim had told Bikram that we looked like an entirely different group of trainees from when he taught us last week before he left. The speech therapist also told Bikram that we were such good listeners and totally shocked her, in a good way. Bikram went on to tell us that we are the best group so far, but I am sure every group before us has been told the same thing. Bikram lectured about another aspect of yoga and told us some personal stories before letting us go to bed at 12:30am.

1 comment:

Duffy Pratt said...

I've read blogs from past teacher training. I don't remember anyone else ever mentioning Bikram saying it was the best group ever. And definitely not with the emphasis it has gotten through the various blogs I'm reading here. From what I've read, I don't think you are right about him telling it to every group.