Monday, September 15, 2008

Week 1: Day 1: Take it easy honey


No morning class today, we had a morning orientation at 10am, than Bikram arrived at 11am. He introduced himself and did his welcome to the family speech. That was followed by the lunch buffet at 12:45 to 1:45. We were told that after lunch we were starting posture clinic with Bikram, get ready half mooners. We were also told to “take it easy honey” for the first week. Also, to expect 70% humidity in the room for all classes because that’s what it has been outside in Acapulco the last two weeks.
At lunch everyone was going over their dialogue in preparation for the afternoon. We all gathered in the auditorium in anticipation of who was going to go first. Jim, a senior teacher, asked if we were all ready. He then proceeded to tell us half moon presenting would start tomorrow. You could feel the relief in the room, lol. So all the teachers and staff that are going to be with us for the next nine weeks, took turns coming up to the stage and introducing themselves. We were let go at 3:15 to prepare for our first class. Eleni and I went to check if her luggage was here and lo and behold, it had finally arrived. I told her to buy a mat this morning before our lecture and then her baggage would show up, I guess the theory worked.
I wish I would have brought my camera to the class. Eleni and I walked down to the room for 4:30 and there were 25 people already waiting. We got our towels and waited while 300 more students lined up down the sidewalk. I will bring my camera tomorrow if I remember. You could feel the anticipation. We got let in, signed in, put our stuff in the cubbies and found a spot. First nine rows were for trainees, the back rows were for visitors and teachers.
I set up in row five with a fellow BYE right beside me as Bikram took the podium. People were dropping, taking knees and lying down all over the place by standing head to knee (fourth posture for you non-birkramees). Bikram pulled a Ricky (or is it Ricky pulls a Bikram back home) in locust pose…nine….nine and a half….nine and three quarters….nine and.…okay ten, legs down. One of the most difficult things I found with this class was when to come out of the posture. People would come out and stand there and he hadn’t even said change yet so then I would come out when everyone around was out. The floor was slippery, but we all knew that going in from the spring trainees. Class was two hours long, Bikram said it is the easiest class he has taught since April…lots of rest in between. We got introduced to Bikrams singing voice and he played a song from his love songs cd at the end of class in savasana.
I headed straight for the ocean after class, as did a handful of other trainees. It felt so good to jump over those waves, I felt like a kid again. I now plan to do that after every class.
We get the rest of the night off. The shuttle is running to Walmart and Mega till 10 tonight so people can load up if need be. I think I am set until at least the weekend. Tomorrow, classes and posture clinic start full on which means half moon dialogue presentations in front of Bikram begin. I think I will use this time now to review.
Bikram also told us to forget about everyone at home. They are happy to get rid of us, that’s why they let us go and paid, yah right. So with that said I think this is where the bubble begins. I will do my best to give daily updates. I have had time up to now to give pretty detailed run downs but I will do my best to at least give you quick updates. Rajashree has encouraged us to keep journals so I will use this as my journal.
Side note: I don’t think I have mentioned how many of us there are, they told us today 318, biggest yet.
And today is the Mexican celebration for independance day. There is a big party in the lobby right now, with a band, dancers and drinking...for the other guests. Tonight is the celebration as tomorrow is the actual holiday. They get tomorrow off so that people can drink and stay up late tonight to celebrate. Tomorrow they can sleep in and not have to worry about work, they have it all figured out, lol. Supposely this is the busiest the hotel will be all training, tomorrow afternoon it should clear out. September and November is their quietier times.

2 comments:

Rox said...

Hi Melissa, it is fun to read this from the other side. You'll love it next the spring! One note on saying half moon, when you're ready, go for it! I don't know if you're nervous but I'll tell you, it's not as bad as you might think. B is quite kind and can see people who are true hearted. That, and once it's over, you can start the next part! Best of luck to you and your friends!!
~Roxanne (Spring 08)

Unknown said...

Hi there! I've been reading your blog entries, just hoping to feel a bit of TT!! I'm a teacher, did my training in 2003, and won't be able to come to your training!!
I love what you wrote Sunday about Bikram knowing what to ask people-it is really the most amazing thing, isn't it??!! It was something that I had learned as well, so it's so cool to hear other people's experience of him too!!
Have a great Week 2, I look forward to reading..
-Ida