Saturday, September 20, 2008

87 classes to go, week one down


This morning I woke up and thought, “ah its Friday” followed by, “but there is still three classes to go before we get a little rest.” One class at a time right!? We had morning class with Lynn, she went to teacher training 12 years ago. She taught a great disciplined class, well as much as she could. When we got to the floor I started thinking, it would be so nice to have some ice cold water or a handful of ice right now. Then I thought, does it really matter, I am going to finish this class and do every posture whether I have that ice or not, so just do it. After class I have been trying to enjoy longer savasana’s before I rush getting up. The room doesn’t really cool down right after class so a lot of people go and lie down outside on the grass. The cool air feels nice once you get outside but at that point I am just focused on getting into that cold ocean water. It is amazing how therapeutic that salt water feels.
At posture clinic we had a two hour discussion with Bikram about where spring training should be. He wanted our input and thoughts. He actually has three places he is still considering, one of them being still in Acapulco. The reason he doesn't want to have it in Acapulco again is because of the flight ride for himself and the all the trainees. He flies out every now and again for a couple days for seminars all around the world. He also said he is tired of the shit food here. Rajashree bought him $200 worth of groceries before she left and he said he is already tired of sandwiches, even if he claims to only eat every twenty four hours. Someone brought him a sucker to eat today and he was pretty happy with that. Last night someone gave him some nuts but he wouldn't eat them because they are too healthy. Today they brought him salted ones and he was loving those, lol.
It never seems to amaze me how many times people need to be told things, whether it’s in the yoga room, lecture room or wherever. We constantly hear; don’t drink water in between postures, put your water down, don’t lie down, put your feet down, don’t eat in the lecture hall, put your water down, sign in, don't drink after this posture, stand instead of sitting down, pick up your garbage, cover up when walking through the hotel, don’t lie down, leave your water. Students are going to be constantly following our lead and people have to be told things like 12 times in row sometimes. I wonder if it gets better or worse, this is only week one.
After class it was into the ocean, shower, than lunch, I'm not getting sick of the food yet. They have a breakfast and a lunch option at the buffet and some great fresh juices which I chug two classes of first thing when I get there. We went through some more people today for half moon, Damien presented his today. He was the last one to go before we got let out at 4 to prepare for 5 o’clock class.
Bikram taught the class again. There was a girl that had to be helped out by Dale, and taken by wheelchair because she was cramping so bad. She is so sweet too, because right before class I saw her talking to one of the guys that hasn’t been doing to well, making sure he was okay for class. What a sweet girl, she was so concerned about other people and then she was unable to care for herself, I hope she gets some rest tonight. Oh speaking of that, Bikram announced in class that we get tonight off because his niece (and assistant) reminded him it is still the first week. He threatened us before lunch with more Bollywood films until 5am, you could feel the relief and energy erupt when he announced we had the night off in class.
Class…well the evening class wasn’t so good for me. My stomach has been hurting all day, but not in a cramping way. I actually felt like I was hung over, eating greasy bacon and sausage and forcing myself to eat the good stuff. In class I had a stomach ache the entire time again. I think the only reason I didn’t get sick was because my body couldn’t decide whether to shit or puke, lol, oh I can laugh now, geez. I did the entire class though, I had great energy and people around me, there was no stopping. Right after rabbit (third last posture), I was lying there in savasana and Michelle who was right beside me, literally poured her ice cold water into my mouth and offered me some ice. I am convinced that orange thermos water jug saved my life tonight, it felt soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. I turned down the ice but the water gave me a burst to power onto the end. At the end of class I just lied there feeling like I couldn’t get up and that the room was getting hotter. So I somehow made my way outside and lied there for about 7 minutes, but that wasn’t any cooler. Wendy, one of the senior teachers encouraged me to get up and go outside, so I took a deep breath, got my stuff and again, somehow made up those stairs and outside. I lied there for another good 10 minutes and decided that it wasn’t any cooler outside. I felt like my body was overheating and I just couldn’t cool down, so I dragged my butt to the ocean. Oh my word, did that feel great, it does the trick every time, its just a matter of getting there sometimes, well okay, only today but still.
I met an older gentleman that was making his way to his room on my way through the hotel on the way to the ocean. He told me hasn’t been doing to well, he hasn’t been able to sleep and he is tired of drinking anything, whether it is water or pedialyte. So I convinced him to come and swim in the ocean. He was in there and four or five people came up to him and said, “you must be feeling better, you are smiling”. He just told them that the ocean was exactly what he needed. He thanked me after for convincing him to come for a swim, that was cool. I have convinced my friend Lucille, who I met here to come to the ocean after class as well, and she says its exactly what the doctor ordered. I know I talk a lot about it but it is seriously the best healing medicine here right now.
After the ocean and a cold shower, I decided I wanted Mcdonalds. We were going to go on Saturday and get it but we had the night off. We were going to walmart anyways so Eleni and I decided to stopp at Mcdonalds first. I seriously could not get the food into my mouth fast enough, well is wan't that bad but it hit the spot. I have not eaten Mcdonalds in forever and it tasted so good tonight. It was only $4 American, that’s like half the price from back home for the meal. It is amazing how the little things get me so excited these days. We went to Walmart to buy one of those orange thermos jugs to keep our water cold in class and some more milk. We have class tomorrow at 8am so now its off to try and get at least eight hours of sleep.
The picture is of me and Michelle (who saved my life yesterday with her cold water) at posture clinic right before the Bolly wood movie started the other night. She says the picture describes how she feels at that moment, lol, love it.

2 comments:

G + H Klingman said...

hey melissa! so cool to see other people blogging here. keep it up! it will be so fun to look back at, im sure.

Zia said...

You sound like you are doing great, Mel! Keep it up...
xoxo
zia