Monday, October 6, 2008

65 classes to go


In the morning Eleni and I had a lunch date with Damian. Eleni told him to call when he gets up to eat in the morning. His room mate usually wakes up every morning at 6am so we threatened him with his life if he dared to call that early. We received the wake up call around 11, we were both still out cold but managed to pull our selves together and make it down before the buffet closed. After lunch, the three of us hopped on the shuttle and got dropped off at Wal-Mart. From Wal-Mart we walked to Costco, which was about a seven minute walk. There I found some more tortellini and ravioli, so I am set for the week. I had half the staff working there looking for some alfredo sauce for me. I asked a couple people and they spoke little English. When I finally found someone who kind of understood what I was looking for the hunt was on. I was following him all through the aisles looking for it as Eleni and Damian followed behind me with their big Costco carts. It was quite the scene, as he stopped to ask 17 different people in Spanish if they knew. He showed me ranch dressing, ceasar dressing, tomato sauce, some white cheese sauce, clam chowder, basically anything with white sauce as I shook my head no every time. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall watching that unfold. In the end, we didn’t end up finding any, so I am going to have to suffer until next weekend. Don’t worry I bought some tomato sauce and veggies to make a good pasta dinner this week. I also loaded up on animal crackers, milk, cereal, almonds, apple juice, and chocolate covered raisins.
So the trip to Costco was about the most entertainment I have had all weekend. I am not going to complain though, cause it seems boring is working for me. After we got back from Costco I had a massage appointment booked. Too put it into words, that place is a little piece of heaven. They have fluffy robes to warm you up when you first get undressed. As you walk through to the waiting area they have a steam room, sauna, and hot tub to help you unwind before or after you go in. The waiting area has these big comfy seats by a water fall where you can sit and have tea, water, juice, muffins and cookies while you wait.
The massage was awesome to say the least, duh. She stretched, cracked, and massaged me. For the last couple months my right hip has been out. My massage therapist at home told me I was out of alignment and was surprised I didn’t have chronic head aches. The massage lady here stretched out my hip and cracked it a little. At one point my hip popped and it kind of just felt like someone pinched me, but I got an instant headache. I just thought, ‘oh fuck’. The lady just said, “don’t worry, don’t worry, I make you straight”. I was scared for about 1 minute until she moved my leg around again than massaged around it and my headache was gone. She is lucky because I would have made up Spanish swear words to say to her. No, I was really just hoping she knew what she was doing.
After my massage, they gave me a little glass of juice they call jamaca juice, it tasted like raspberry iced tea. I then chilled in the waiting area, had a cookie, and took advantage of the sauna for about six or seven minutes. Then I proceeded to the shower to wash off. They have shower attendants there that give you a shower cap, razor, scrub pad, and towels. The showers are outfitted with shampoo, conditioner, exfoliating body scrub, and the yummiest smelling body wash. Each shower has its own little mini changing room with these cool little frosted glass doors. Oh my, I just talked about showers for four sentences, can you tell I have been cooped up for three weeks? The littlest things bring a smile to my face right now. When I stepped into the elevator to leave the spa I just thought, “Ah, I want to go back to heaven.” I know, it sounds like I have never been to a spa before, I have, but this one was over the top. You just walk through those front doors and your shoulders untense. I can not wait to spend the afternoon there with Auntie Shirley when she comes.
When I was in the waiting area at the spa, I started talking to a couple that are here from Florida (for the training). We were talking about teachers visiting and they said they had a teacher here this week. Their teacher told them that the temperature in the room has been between 115 and 120 degrees Fahrenheit since we arrived. That’s between 46 to 49 degrees Celsius to us Canadians. The humidity has been at an average of 74%. At home, I am not sure exactly what our studio is kept at but the recommended temperature for a Bikram studio is 40º Celsius (105ºF) with 40% humidity. Eleni got mad when I told her that, I guess that’s why they don’t tell students what the temperature is in the room. I told her to look on the bright side, when we get home the room will feel like it is air conditioned, lol. Wishful thinking but it made her smile at least.
When I got back I called and talked to Grandma. It is her birthday this weekend and the family threw her a birthday celebration. She sounded pretty excited when I talked her, to see all her friends and people she had not seen for awhile. I tried to talk to Grandpa too but he gave the phone to dad because he couldn’t hear anything. I asked dad what was going on and he said Grandpa was holding the blackberry like a microphone; it wasn’t even on his ear. See, I told you he makes me laugh, so cute.
Eleni and I have started to watch ‘the bachelor rome’ on Sunday nights to really relax and have a good laugh. Damian ruined our fun by calling to see if we wanted to go over anatomy, I threw out an s–bomb. I TOTALLY forgot about the test tomorrow, so the evening was spent reviewing standing head to knee pose and anatomy. After this exam, anatomy will be finished then we will be having posture clinics all afternoon from 12:30 to 4pm. That means we are going to start rolling through these postures this week.
Time for bed, onto week 4. Did I mention we are 1/3 way done?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Mel.
That spa sounds amazing,Yes! you are 1/3 of the way done,6 weeks to go!
Love ya!
Good luck on all of your tests,i've been praying for you.
Love Britt

Rox said...

Hi Melissa, I continue to be so impressed by your wonderful attitude! Well done. You should treat yourself to a pedi at the spa (they're cheep & you get to hang out in the spa, plus you have pretty toes when you have your "toes on the line"). You're in the thick of it now but keep smiling and try to enjoy all of it! You're really doing great!!!
~Roxanne