Sunday, October 5, 2008

Some reflection


Saturday started off with a class at 8am with Diane. She didn’t have to yell at anyone, everyone worked together, you could tell it was Saturday. After class I went to the pool for about half an hour to soak and veg, it felt nice. Eleni wasn’t feeling well so she went straight to bed until she had to leave for her massage. This has been a continuation all week, hopefully a little rest this weekend will help.
As I was walking to lunch a man stopped me and asked me if I spoke English. When he realized I did he started asking questions about all the people walking around with yoga mats. He is a doctor from Montreal and is here for a conference until tomorrow. He said he has heard of this type of yoga before but doesn’t know much about it. He was very excited to know that we learn anatomy and take first aid and everything while we are here. He told me about his body problems and how he hurt himself, it was quite funny, he just opened right up. It was a little introduction into the types of things I will have to talk about once I am teacher. I gave him the briefest run down I could and by the end he was convinced to check if there is studio near him back home.
I went to lunch today by myself and ended up being seated with two other singles taking the training. I’ve of course seen them around but I had never met them before. English was the second language for both of them but we were still able to hold up a great conversation about the training. One of them was talking about how he can’t believe that this training is so intense and doesn’t understand what the point of keeping us awake until all hours of the night is. He got really worked up when he started talking about the silly Bollywood movies and what the point of them was. I asked them both if they were planning to teach full time when they got home. One said they didn’t know because there are lots of teachers at their studio so she doesn’t know if she will get any classes. The other one said, 'I don’t know yet, but first hopefully I finish this training then I will teach'. We started talking about why he thinks he might not finish training. He started comparing the training to a marathon. His biggest argument was he said that people can train months or years for a marathon then the day arrives and they get sick or something and they can’t finish. They have wasted all that time preparing and now they are a failure because they can’t finish. He told me I should have a more realistic view that something could come up that would cause me not to graduate. He has been sick the entire time, he has never felt like this, getting sick wasn’t supposed to happen and why is there a crazy 80 year old that talks about non sense teaching us anatomy. He even started talking about how Bikram should run the training. There is always someone who thinks they can do it better. It evolved to talking about our expectations before coming and now being here. In the end I just ended up telling him that I understand where he is coming from but I just don’t agree with what he is saying. I think all his misinterpreted expectations and not feeling well have just built up into frustration.
I guess I am really lucky because I received a ton of advice from teachers at my studio on what to expect, how to prepare (not that you really can), dialogue, getting sick, and taking care of myself in preparation for training. I was told on a couple of occasions that I was over prepared, puh. Looking at my packing pile I second guessed myself too. Before I came I didn’t need just training advice though, I had over whelming support from friends and especially my family. Even some of moms friends have logged onto my blog wondering how I doing and I am sure intrigued by the whole process as well. I guess all in all I didn’t come here blind, I knew it wasn’t going to be a walk in the park. It’s going to be the toughest, but best thing I do in my life. I came here expecting that I am going to get sick, have a break down, have a break through, be tired, stressed, overwhelmed, feel angry and get little sleep. I might even feel them all at the same time, lol.
See what happens when I get a little spare time on the weekends. Eleni is sitting on her bed watching tv shows on her laptop and I am reflecting, I think. This must be a reflection of some sort, because I started talking about my day and my enlightening lunch, and I ended up writing for half an hour, lol.
SO ANYWAYS… after lunch I lied down for half an hour than I had first aid/cpr. I really enjoyed the first aid class actually. A couple of the teachers and the nurse (who is also a Bikram teacher) talked about different situations and events that can arise at a yoga studio. I liked hearing the different stories and experiences and how they were dealt with, always good stuff to know. After the first aid class we had our anatomy review, which was fast, I liked that even more, lol.
Eleni and I ordered room service again and then Damian came up and we worked on memorizing standing head to knee. We are going to try and make a run to Costco tomorrow and see what they have there.

The picture is of Me, ELeni and Damian representing E-town outside of the lecture hall

1 comment:

lucille_allen said...

Melissa -- in person and in your blog, I am impressed with your wisdom (even if you are a youngin'), your positive attitude and your insight. You are an inspiration to me and I'm sure to the people around you. Thanks, I'm sure, to a loving and supportive family, you are a wonderful woman and will be a fabulous yoga instructor. Thanks for being my buddy. Lucille