Friday, October 24, 2008

Connecting it all together


I did not sleep well last night and had a tough time falling asleep. It was a combination of a tense posture clinic and not being able to breathe, my nose was so stuffed up. I really contemplated getting up and going for a walk around the hotel. I wanted to be able to breathe through my nose and not be so restless. The only thing that stopped me was that Eleni had her eye mask and ear plugs in and I figured if I left and the door slammed she would hear it and wonder what the hell was going on. So I took an allergy pill and tossed and turned for an hour. I think the pill helped but it didn’t kick in for awhile and I still woke up a bunch through out the night with a plugged nose. Anyways, none of that matters, the day has begun.
Morning class was taught by a lady from California. I had not heard good things about her previous to this class, I guess she had stepped on some toes in posture clinic last night. I put that aside and once again decided to make my own conclusions. I liked her and I remembered to breathe properly, so all in all it was a good class, lol. I went right smack in the middle of the room in front of the podium today, man I have been missing out all this time on the good air flow. I knew and heard there was fresh air that blew on the podium, but I was enjoying the constant fresh breeze today. No wonder there are people who come early and claim their real estate. I do not like depending on elements such as fresh air all the time so I will venture away from there for the evening class.
Kellie joined Eleni and I for lunch, it was nice to sit down and chill with her. After lunch we had more lecture with Rajashree. She finished up talking about the benefits of each posture. She also brought a girl up on stage (Zephia?) to show us the proper and improper ways of doing the postures.
Evening class was taught by Rajashree. Rajashree told she was going to be looking for people that could be the demonstrators on stage for grad. They should tell us that for the next two weeks, because people who have been lying down daily were by some miracle able to do the entire class tonight, how coincidental.
Kellie came to our room for supper tonight, she got spoiled with some cheese tortellini with alfredo sauce, lol. After supper we had more lecture with Rajashree. Before lecture started all the visiting teachers got to introduce themselves. Kel got up there and told them about herself and where she resides right now. Tonight we got to hear from Devi, she is a doctor, Bikram yoga instructor and studio owner in Victoria. I could have listened to her for hours. She started to talk about spirituality and connecting with how the mind works, breaking it down for us, and explaining her beliefs and told us that by no means did we have to accept anything she said. She talked about things that I am just beginning to understand and learn about myself in terms of spirituality and beliefs. She also gave the western way of thinking about it and the medical terms and solutions how the medical field deals with the associated processes, relating diseases and sickness to the mind. It’s so cool because it totally reiterated everything I have begun to stand behind or trying to understand in terms of spirituality. I don’t want to get to much into it because not everyone understands, believes, or wants to know about it. She has only just started to connect and grow with this over the last couple years since graduating from teacher training. It got me so excited because I only started to connect with this stuff once I started to work at the studio.
I am sure my day to day events are boring you guys. Grandma already said it sounds like the same thing but just a different day, I told you before, ground hog day. She might not know what that means, I had to explain it to Eleni the other day. The saying is based on a movie where the guy does the same thing every day. That is why people were calling training ground hog day by week two.
I was trying to think if there was a story I could tell you so you aren’t so bored. The only story we heard today was that six years a girl had hurt her lumber/lower spine, making her unable to do any sports. Her only physical activity was walking her dog which never lasted long because she was in so much pain she had to stop. Her doctor told her the only answer was surgery and after she would have to wear a neck brace until it healed, there was a chance of side effects with anestia too. One day her neighbour, who is a Bikram yoga instructor saw her and told her to try a Bikram class. She talked to her doctor and he told her she could do what she could until the surgery in three months. She started classes, seeing improvement after her third class so continued to go five days a week. She went back to her doctor six WEEKS later and told him to cancel the surgery. Her doctor couldn't believe that she had healed so quickly without surgery.
Have I mentioned before that I love this yoga.

1 comment:

Rox said...

Hello Melissa, congratulations on another week down! I think this is the end of Week 6? The end of 'Anger Week' for most people... Sorry to hear your fighting the mystery cold. Nearly everyone gets a version of it, but it seldom comes to fruition. Hang in there! The last bit of training will fly! Fun stuff is around the corner and you will 'finally' begin to have some free time (believe it or not!!). Keep that chin up! You & your fabulous roommate are really doing remarkable!! =)
~ Roxanne