Sunday, October 19, 2008

Just breathe


This weekend is all about the dialogue. We don’t have much further to go in terms of postures, just under ten and they are short ones too so they will go by super quick. Everyone is trying to estimate where we will get to by Friday. If I have learned one thing it is too not have any expectations.
This morning’s class was taught by Mark again. The class was relaxed and it felt like a Saturday, if that makes any sense. He started the class by having us sing ‘lean on me’. Instead of those words we changed them to ‘lock the knee, lock the knee, lock the knee’, which is basically the mantra in Bikram Yoga. It was a good start to the class since everyone was excited for it to be Saturday; we were free after the class. I think only 37 beads of sweat left my body during that class as the room wasn’t very hot, it’s like they forgot to turn on the heat. I won’t complain though, maybe next time that happen on like Wednesday though, he he. I really pushed myself today to get my internal heat going so I could get the sweat on, it was a little challenging because my body was stiffer without the heat. At the end of class Mark led us in a chant, he would say the line then we would repeat it. It was the coolest thing to hear 350 people chanting like that.
After class I had a lunch date with Michelle. We have been so busy with dialogue and such that I haven’t talked to her much. It was good to go for lunch and catch up.
After lunch I met with a couple people from my group to do dialogue. We rented a cabana and went down to the beach. Don’t worry I had on the 65 SPF, sunglasses and a hat. I ordered a virgin strawberry smoothie and the others ordered coconut water straight from a freshly cracked coconut. We also treated ourselves to some nachos and salsa. It might not sound like it but we actually accomplished a lot this afternoon.
Yesterday in posture clinic a girl in my group thanked me for what I did for her in last Fridays class. I bring this up now because I saw and talked to her today as I was coming up from the beach after studying.
Okay so now I have to rewind because I don’t think I told this story last week. In last Thursdays evening class this girl was in front of me in class and lied down most of the class. I asked her that night in posture clinic if she was okay because I saw her talking to one of the staff after. She said that for the last two weeks she has been blacking out in class and collapsing. She thinks that she must get herself to the floor in a civilized manner because no one ever notices that she just falls down. The last thing she ever remembers is standing up doing a posture than she will wake up on the ground.
Last Friday’s evening class was the class Bikram challenged us for no one to go down to get the night off. ‘Sally’ ended up being in front of me, in the front row. After Bikram made that challenge she started to cry. I just rubbed her shoulder and said do what you can, don’t get sick over it. So she powered through until we got to triangle. This is the posture where she usually goes down (I didn't know this at the time). She just stood there with this look on her face that said, ‘I can’t do this’. I looked at her in the mirror and told her to ‘just breathe’. She went into triangle, did both sides and came out with tears in her eyes. She did it but there was still one more set to do. I gave her a little squeeze on her shoulder and said, ‘do what you can, remember to breathe, and just listen to Bikrams voice’. The girl was like a robot, she completed the rest of the standing series with tears rolling down her face. When we turned around to lie on the floor I gave her a thumbs up. At the end of class we gave each other a high five and hadn’t talked about it since.
She told me that I made her have a break through last Friday. I told her she did it herself as she broke through the scariest barrier she has faced since being here on her own. If I was in her shoes I would have wanted to just stand there and do nothing during that class, scared of what could happen. This week she focused on just breathing in class and doing what she can. She did every single posture this week and didn’t black out, so strong.
She didn’t realize how two simple words. ‘Just breathe’, could give someone the strength to believe in themself. She said when I told her to just listen to Bikram’s voice, that she went into a trance of just letting him lead her. She didn’t think about anything but what his voice told her to do. She told me that my words allowed her to over come her biggest fear in that room as she has felt helpless for the last couple weeks, not knowing what is going on with her. I thought it was really cool for her to come thank me but I didn’t think it was a big deal. I was so proud of her that day for believing in herself and pushing through it. I love this yoga.
Anyways the rest of the day was spent going over dialogue with a little supper thrown in there. I went to bed early because I feel like I am getting sick again. I think I am getting the same thing I had here a couple weeks ago. I am starting to think maybe I am allergic to the air conditioning or something, or maybe I am allergic to the dialogue, he he.

No comments: