Thursday, November 13, 2008

Craig and Cramps


Today’s entry will probably be very short; I don’t have the energy nor the brain power right now. I think I only got two hours of sleep on the whole last night. I mentioned yesterday that I had stomach pains during the movie and when I got back to the room they got worse. I lied in bed in the fetal position for about two hours because it hurt so much, it felt like someone was inside my stomach using a carrot grater on my insides. My stomach was constantly cramping, not the actual stomach muscles but it felt like my organs were cramping. At about 4am I went to the bathroom and puked my guts out, I was so tired that I actually fell asleep with my head on the toilet seat. I woke up around 6:30 to a cramp in my stomach again, I puked again and then I had to use the toilet the proper way. Sorry to be so graphic but this is what you get when you tune in. After that I made my way to my bed and shut my eyes for 45 minutes before the alarm went off.
My stomach was cramping so much I couldn’t even stand up straight. Eleni instantly knew something was wrong. Good thing the girl sleeps with ear plugs in and didn’t have to go the bathroom in the middle of the night when I was sleeping there. I got ready for class and I don’t know how I made it there, because I had to stop every 12 steps and crouch in pain. It hurt so much it actually brought me to tears by the time I got to the elevator. I have no idea what brought this on.
I was talking to another girl at lunch that felt the same way last week and she thinks she had a virus. She went to eat the week before and had pop with ice; it took her down all last week. She had to take some prescribed meds that she brought with her before it got better.
When I got to the yoga room, Eleni went told Auntie Shirley what was going on. As soon as I saw her I started to cry, I was in so much pain. She suggested I talk to the nurse so I went to find a spot in the back of the room first for my mat. When I was putting my mat down my cramps hit again and I crumbled to the ground on my knees and started shaking. Upkar who was right in front of me instantly grabbed me and helped me out of the room to talk to the nurse.
The nurse wanted me to go see the doctor, a visit that would have cost $200 US. Me being stubborn said no, let's see what happens. She then told me she wanted me to sit out class, to which I shook my head no. She was worried that I didn't have enough electrolytes to get through class. I asked her if I would have a make up class and she said more than likely but don’t think about that. There were rumors that the makeup is 6am on Friday; thanks but no thanks. I told her I would take it easy and do class.
I did every posture, not to the best of my ability but I attempted everything. Whenever I would do a forward bend my stomach would cramp and I would crumble to my knees. So I took it easy and did what I could but I did not push myself. Oh and by the way, Emmy taught class, she is baaaaaack.
Lunch took me about an hour to eat because it was a very slow process. My stomach was still going in and out of cramping but I made it through. After lunch it was back to the lecture hall. Bikram came down and he introduced us to Craig Valleni (?). Craig has been the teacher training on site coordinator for the past like 15 years, now he is travelling around the world doing lectures/seminars for Bikram. Bikram handed us over to him until the end of training, so cool, I have heard so much about him.
Craig lectured for the entire three hours about using the dialogue and mostly about being a teacher. He has such a neat way of explaining things, using these parallels and real like situations to explain what he is talking about and link it to teaching. He explained why the dialogue is written the way it is and why it works. I had a hard time sitting still throughout the lecture as I was still in and out of cramping but I hung onto every word as best I could.
After lecture we had class with Craig, I really enjoyed his class. He was very energetic and laid back. He said he was impressed with how we moved as a group. He also teased us a little bit about having to do a triple last week and the heat in the room throughout training, though it has been much cooler this week so that has been a very nice break. He used different voices and quoted movies during class which was fun. One thing I noticed was that every time we did postures that we were kneeling down he was right down there on his knees with us (on the podium of course). I know some teachers say not to move around and use a lot of body movement in class but I quite enjoyed it, making me feel like he was working hard with us in some weird way.
Before eating supper I took some peptobismal (Nikki’s suggestion) to see if that would help with my stomach. It helped a little, I was still getting the cramping just not as sevre or as often. We had evening lecture with Craig. He talked about the different postures and the way to adapt them for certain ailments and what to look for. He also showed us what habits most beginners will start with on their first couple classes. He related a lot of the stories back to his first couple classes and incorporated his own personal experience and thoughts at the time (when he started) into the lecture. I enjoyed this element as it made it very personable. Bikram came down around midnight to reintroduce Rajashree to us and tell us that we aren’t allowed to have a party on Friday night. Then he proceeded to tell us he is going to the discothèque to go dancing Friday night but we will have to watch a movie after the talent show. He also told Craig to keep us there until 2am so we could stay and watch a bollywood movie with him after. Thank goodness Craig was on our side, we got dismissed at 1am.

1 comment:

Rox said...

Only two classes left!! Can you stand it?!?! I hope your stomach is feeling better. Bummer to end on a low note. Hang in there. I'll be sending positive vibes for you to finish strong. Well done!!!
Roxanne