Thursday, October 30, 2008

The big surprise


I woke up excited for class today, well not excited for class in particular but for the announcement before class. We were told on Monday that there will be a surprise for us this week, mainly Wednesday. I was anxious to know what it was and mostly to find out if we had posture clinic this afternoon. I got excited for nothing because Monali told us before class that we would have posture clinic this afternoon. Then she proceeded to tell us that we would have lecture tonight if the special guest arrives. Everyone was joking that the staff probably don’t even know what is going on so they can’t tell us. With all this anticipation growing it better be a good one, lol. I don’t care, after tonight’s class we will be half way through week 7.
Morning class was taught by Mike from California. He was here a couple weeks ago and now he is back for the rest of the week. He is a bit older so I remember the first class I had total expectations that he would be really slow and boring. I let go that first class and it turned out okay. When I saw him step up to the podium this morning I went back to that and remembered his last class wasn’t so bad. With that thought in my head I just let go. It was neat too because I talked about Carol in my blog yesterday and today we ended up practicing mat by mat, great energy.
Our leads in posture clinic today were Jellena, Katie and Esther. We never had Katie before and I thought she was great. She was really good at figuring people out and what was going on with them. She could really tell what they were working on to get better without cheating and looking at the books to see their homework. All three girls gave great feedback and examples to relate to what they were talking about so we knew exactly what we needed to work on.
Last night I stayed up for twenty minutes to nail down stretching posture. Man am I ever glad I did. I was one of two people in my group that knew it and was ready to present today when we finished Rabbit with lots of time left. I went up there and started a little shaky, cause I just walked up and starting talking, not giving myself any time to get grounded. After one line, Esther stopped me, made me take a deep breath and get grounded. It totally worked and I nailed it and was als looking for corrections and watching the bodies. I didn’t see any so I didn’t have to make any, but I’m confident I was ready for them. When I was demonstrating there was some really strong presenters in the other group so we got to make mistakes while they taught the dialogue. I truly had way too much fun doing it and could barely keep my composure sometimes. It was actually kind of hard to think about what I wanted my body to do wrong. Some of the things I was doing I would think, ‘how the heck would I correct someone if I was the instructor’. I told Esther that and she said that’s good and that’s being a teacher. Now all I have to do it remember all the dialogue to get them there the correct way.
They started calling names for people to go up to present their dialogue because the volunteers were falling short today. It worked out good though because it wasn’t a tense environment at all. Well I had already delivered my dialogue so I can say that but I was in the room though and it didn’t feel tense by any means. So again, the leads and their energy makes a difference of how they deal with a situation. Even after people were called to go up the feedback after was nice and not critical which makes a huge difference.
Talk about getting over the Wednesday night hump, I found the teacher for the evening class to be the most un-motivating teacher we have had for awhile. First off, all week they have been talking to us and implamenting the 'wear what you would to teach a class' to posture clinic cliché. They have been giving a lot of grief to people who have chosen to wear pants or full tanks, exactly what the teacher wore tonight. I let that go because I have seen various teachers wear pants to teach throughout the training, usually with sports bras on but I noted it and moved on.
Her voice was the same tone and speed throughout the entire class, not motivating me at all today. I really felt like doing nothing, but I didn't want to allow a teacher to take away my class from me. The class was ninety minutes though it felt like three hours long, but of course I am still here to talk about it, lol.
Our big surprise lecturer tonight was John Burras, the facia guy. Ang told me before I left that this lecture was her absolute favorite at training. I made her give me a little run down about it, and needless to say I got excited and couldn’t wait, so the day has arrived. We didn’t get into the whole facia thing tonight, that’s tomorrow so stay tuned tomorrow for me to explain it to the best of my ability on tomorrows blog. Tonight he talked about the mind and how powerful it is. I once again ate this lecture up, I absolutely loved it. He also talked about issues in our tissues, to give the short version it is basically what I blogged about on the weekend. I talked about how past events that have happened, whether physical or mental, our body remembers it and stores it. How our body reacts all depends on how we deal with something as we move through life. John said that every ailment in the body is a result of some past event that we couldn’t deal with at the time and it ends up getting stored in our body.

No comments: