Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Vomit Launch


The morning class was taught by the lady from Virginia again. I like her classes because she makes specific corrections on people when she sees them. It’s hard sometimes to know if your alignment is correct without a mirror in front of you. I've mentioned before how interesting it is to see how out of whack your body can get from not being in front of mirror for four or five classes.
Lunch wasn’t much better than yesterday and I am finding it more and more difficult to find protein to eat everyday. Today there was pasta salad with pesto, which is good, but I am not a big fan of cold pasta. I convinced the guy at the quesadilla station to throw the pasta on the grill for me to warm it up. He kind of looked at me funny when I explained what I wanted but he did it. I even got him to throw some hamburger meat on that they use for the quesadillas. They don’t have the pasta salad everyday so I will not make a habit out of this. It was a nice switch though, even if they think I am crazy.
After lunch we had posture clinic, onto camel. There is a lady in our group, Carol (she is the oldest one here at 63), and she teaches rock climbing. She attends Michael Harris’ studio in Bent, actually I think she is the only one here from his studio. One of the climbs she does is called vomit launch. Every year she brings some rock climbing kids to the studio to do some kids yoga. Michael told us that the kids have renamed camel (backward bend) vomit launch, lol. I just bring this up because Michael was our lead today and Carol had to perform her posture in front of her studio owner. How suiting that we had him today for this posture. The first time Michael introduced himself to the entire tt group he made Carol stand up because she was from his studio. He told us that she was the reason he was still teaching today, how cool is that to hear from a senior teacher and studio owner?
When he told us about the kids renaming the posture it made me relate back to myself in this posture a couple times too. This is also the only posture ever that I actually felt and got sick in. There was a class I had after my challenge and I actually puked in my mouth when I came out. That sounds revolting but it was the first time I actually came out early and had to take a minute to regroup. I sat there and I remember thinking, ‘wow this is what people feel like when they get sick in this posture’. I had never experienced anything like that in a posture before so I really embraced it, and at the same time I hoped it wouldn’t happen again, lol.
The first time I ever did this posture I got up on my knees, dropped my head back and felt nauseous, which is totally normal for the first time. I sat down than got back up and tried again, finishing the set. For the second set I stood on my knees and didn’t attempt it. I had Ricky and he said straight to me, “Melissa (I was one of two first timers so he remembered my name) you can do this, just try, start with putting your head back”. In my head I was thinking, ‘how does this guy know what I can and can’t do’, I looked at him and he smiled. Then my thought changed to ‘FINE’. Without thinking about it I did it, and have done it every single time since. Just a little self reflection for you today.
Posture clinic was good, its amazing how a lead with a smile can create such awesome energy. Michael told me that my voice, delivery, and dialogue was perfect today. Now my homework is to use names, see corrections and make them if I feel I won’t lose my dialogue. I have not had a very good habit of practicing with bodies until I get to the posture clinic room and do it the couple minutes before it starts. Therefore this will be a little more challenging and out of my comfort zone, I’m excited to see what happens. Today I got up there and tried not to think about breathing and my voice so much, and it obviously worked.
Evening class was taught by Patricia from California. She leaves tomorrow and I think she planned it to be here before the election takes place. Every time we have her in class or posture clinic she reminds the Americans about absentee votes or something. Patricia said that every teacher should ask for feed back after each class they teach if there is another teacher in the room. She said the feed back she got after the last class she taught us was that she didn’t hold us long enough in the standing postures. At first we all grunted and groaned like we would be held for eons. Seriously a couple extra seconds never killed anyone and it turned out okay. I like her pace, she keeps you going steady all class without giving you time to think about yourself or what is next.
After supper we had more posture clinic with Victoria that taught us class yesterday and Dale from Vancouver (one of the regular staff members) as our leads. At first the night started out with a weird energy because we weren’t allowed to clap or cheer. Every time someone is finished with their dialogue or goes up to say it usually the groups clap and cheer for the person. The hotel received a complaint yesterday from some other hotel guests. Apparently last night one on the posture clinics woke up a sleeping baby with the cheering. At first there was no real energy because there wasn’t that excitement from cheering and encouraging each other. At first we started to cheer for people by holding our hands in the air and waving our fingers, the sign language way. Our group was getting anxious from all the silence so we started snapping for everyone. That totally changed the energy around and was much better.
I delivered my rabbit posture and was told to speed up, lol. Slow down, speed up, slow down, speed up, I think I was worried about where to use names and corrections (my homework) that I was thinking to much. The good thing about that is that I was really remembering to breathe this time. Two more postures to work out the kinks. We have heard that next week we might get the opportunity to start linking postures together, so that will be helpful.
Oh and there was another earth quake last nigh in the middle of the night, it was a long one that was still going once it woke me up.

The picture is me with Eleni, Damian and Kellie (a teacher from my home studio) that visited us this week. She leaves us tomorrow. I know you are all laughing at my snow white legs compared to her dark native looking skin. I'm the native, shouldn't it be the other way around, !?

1 comment:

Zia said...

What a nice picture, Palefaces! :)

How did Kellie get that dark in a week?!?!