Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Energy fence

So last night I woke up every hour because my damn nose was stuffed up. I can tell my body is fighting something because it feels so weak today, using my energy to try and fight whatever is trying to take over. Maybe I am just bringing stuff up and this is my bodies way of dealing with it. I went through the same thing during my hundred day challenge, it happened about day 30, sick, stiff and sore. This is about the same feeling. This morning I practiced beside a little tiny girl who is in my posture clinic group. To put it into perspective she is exactly the same size as little Jean at home. They actually are very similar too, always smiling and very very strong practices. My friend has a rough weekend after having to do a double for forgetting to sign in. It hit her like a ton of bricks and she went to sleep Saturday after class around 1 and didn’t wake up untilv Monday morning for class. She powered through her class, taking it easy and pacing herself, she also had not eaten since Saturday.
This morning we decided to practice beside each other. This girl has such strong energy it doesn’t matter how she is feeling. At triangle she took a knee, so I asked her if she was okay. She shook her head yes with a smile, took a breath and got up, and continued through class doing every single posture with me. After class she gave me a huge hug and said “thank you for getting me through that class”. I told her it wasn’t me, she was the controlling her own body. She said when I asked her if she was okay that the smile on my face told her that I believed in her, therefore making up her mind to finish the standing series with me, see, strong girl. She told me that she had it in her head that she couldn’t do it, and the hardest thing to do is over come that. I think its pretty amazing when a hand reaches down, and pulls you up because they believe in you more than you do in your self at that moment. That’s what yoga is about, over coming that, I LOVE IT!
You know what else I love? The look in someone’s eye when they accomplish something beyond what they thought was possible. Okay kind of along the same lines. I forgot to mention this little story about my friend Lucille yesterday. I ran into her after the evening class last night and she was glowing. You know that look pregnant woman get, glowing, that’s the look she had. Her blue eyes were as bright as the ocean water, her smile was from ear to ear, and she her feet were not touching the ground when she walked. Got the picture? I stopped her and asked, “Lucille what’s up?” And she was vibrating with so much pride she barley got out, “I had the best class of my life, I did every single posture, I haven’t done that since day one, I love Jim’s class, I loved that class, I did it!” I gave her a big high five, I was so damn proud of her, she kicked the shit out of that class.
Back to today, after class was lunch than anatomy, than more posture clinic. We got through some more back bending and hands to feet. It’s my turn just to listen now, since I did it last night.
So now I can get to the reason for my blog title, I was going to name it the cemetary. This evenings class was the lowest energy class I have ever been to yet. By standing bow pulling pose, (5th posture) there were 12 people on the ground around me. Some weren’t even on their mats, they had run out of the room for various reason. The people on their mats were either sleeping, chewing ice, drinking water, playing with their towel, etc. By the time we got to triangle, four postures later, there were 16 people on the ground. Not one person around my circumference was still standing except for one girl two rows ahead of me, we were the lone rangers. When we came out of triangle I decided to put up an invisible energy fence around me. You are going to think I am crazy but it worked, I tuned everyone else out and just listened to the teacher, my body his mind. My energy fence didn’t allow anyone to take my energy, I kept it all to my self. Selfish? So be it, at that point I didn’t care. I was having a hard time breathing in the standing series though, it was like I just couldn't catch my breath. It took alot of energy just to look up into the mirror, but I got through it.
Once we got to the floor I couldn’t decided whether to be mad or feel deserted and alone. Then I turned it around, smiled and thought, why am I thinking about this, I have my energy fence up. Explaining this sounds like I have gone completely nuts, but seriously, it got me through. Don’t ask me where it came from, the imagination is a wonderful thing. I was so in tuned with my energy fence and focusing on the teacher I didn’t drink water for the rest of the class. People were coming in and out of poses on the floor but for the most part I had the mirror to myself.
After class I got in the shower to wash down. As I was about to get out my body just started shivering. I turned the water on as hot as it could go, so hot my skin was turning red, nearly scolding myself while standing there shivering. I just stood there letting the hot water hit my body like a warm blanket. I finally warmed up and got out, but just a little insight to what goes on with the body. Jim talked about it yesterday how our bodies will start shaking and shivering for no reason as we work through things.
After supper we had lecture. Jim started, talking about how Bikram came to be where he right now and how this yoga came here. Everything he told us I had read in Bikrams book, but I never get bored of hearing it. After about an hour of Jim talking, Bikram came in and started talking about how he wasn’t lecturing because his butt hurt, he had two huge boils on his right cheek. He couldn’t even sit on both butt cheeks because one had popped. He had been threatening us for a week that he was going to show them to us. His threat turned into reality tonight with the Bikram butt show. He pulled down his pants (don’t worry he had his 'panties' on), hiked up the back of them and proceeded to show us his boils. After he enlightened us with that he proceeded to show us the proper way to tighten your butt muscles. He disappeared as fast as he had appeared in a matter of 20 minutes, bringing life back to everyone in the room. He didn’t want to stay because his butt hurt to much to sit there. It was 11:15 and Jim started to take questions from us. It took two questions and 15 minutes each of explanations for us to realize not to ask him a simple question. So the questions stopped and we got let go at 11:45 for bed, I have a feeling we will have to watch a movie tomorrow night.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Mel,
You could be a Bikram teacher/writer because you have a very interesting blog and great words in describing.Sounds like your doing awsome(i knew you would)your a tough ass farm girl!
Love you
Britt

lucille_allen said...

Ok that was a great description except I did NOT look like I was pregnant!!!!! You make me laugh!!! Keep up the great writing and the excellent yoga!!

Rox said...

Hey, I'm back to reading! Wow, it does sound like you had a minor energy crash around you in class. Well handled tho. And it sounds like you rocked your Backbend and Hands to Feet poses (yeah!). Lots of words in those. I'll send ya some positive vibes that your cold/sore throat gets better soon. Take care, your weekend is nearly here!!
~ Roxanne